Study abroad in the United Kingdom

Study abroad in the United Kingdom


What are the variant names for “The United Kingdom”?

The United KingdomGreat Britain,UK,

What is the geographical location of the United Kingdom?

The United Kingdom is located in Western Europe.

What is the surface area?

[243,000 km2] [94,058 mi2] is the surface area.

What is the population?

[64.1 million] is the population (2013 census).

What is the capital?

London is the capital.

London, United Kingdom

What is the nature of the political regime?

The United Kingdom is a constitutional monarchy.

Who is the Chief of State?

Queen Elizabeth II is the Chief of State.

Who is the Head of Government?

Prime minister Boris Johnson is the Head of Government

What is the official language?

English is the official language.

What is the currency?

The pound sterling is the currency.

Higher Education

What is the supervising body?

The higher education system is supervised by the local authorities in each of the regions making up the United Kingdom (EnglandScotlandWales and Northern Ireland).

The Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS) is responsible for UK government policy in many areas including Higher Education, Science & Research.

The minister of State for Universities and Science oversees the planning, coordination and governance of higher education institutions.

What is the system of Education?

Britain follows the 3-tier system of Higher Education (Bachelor’s, Master’s, Doctorate) founded on teaching and research.

What is the number of higher education institutions?

Higher Education in the United Kingdom is made up of public and private institutions. Public Universities fall into two categories: “open-access” and “limited-access” institutions.

[] is the number of higher education institutions in (…).

[] is the number of public universities.

[] is the number of private universities.

What is the number of students?

[] students are enrolled in British Higher Education institutions for the (2012-2013) academic year.

What is the number of international students?

[] international students are enrolled in Britain Higher Education institutions for the (…) academic year.

What is the number of academics?

[] is the number of academics teaching and doing research in the various public and private Higher Education institutions during the academic year (2012-2013).

What is the student/teacher ratio?

[] to [] is the average student/teacher ratio.

What are the degrees awarded?

Higher education institutions in Great Britain  offer programs leading to a Bachelor’s degree (… years) , a Master’s degree (… years) and a Doctorate/PhD degree (… years).

What are the admission requirements?

On completion of the secondary school program, students can pursue their studies in one of the higher education institutions. They may, however, be required to have high higher secondary certificate grades and take an entrance exam to attend some higher education schools/institutes.

What is the amount of Fees?

Studies in public higher education institutions are free. In the private sector, studies are paid and scholarship fees vary from one institution to another.

How is the academic year organized?

Higher education institutions follow a semester system which divides the academic year into two terms of equal length. Each institution decides upon its own academic calendar; however, academic year generally starts in September and ends in June. There are winter and summer breaks. Summer school is also available at some universities.

How is assessment & Evaluation carried out?

Student evaluation is carried out through coursework, exams, presentations, reports and end-of-term projects. Each institution sets its own standards for student achievement.

What is the Grading and reporting method in use?

Various grading and reporting methods are used . Each higher education institution may use one or many grading standards.


TLG London: Welcome to our Moroccan Students – Aug 20, 2014


Chevening: UK Government Scholarships

Study abroad in The United Kingdom/